I finally got around to fixing the contact form that’s been broken for about a year. When I moved hosts I never got around to setting up a mail server so that my server could send outgoing emails. I finally got Postfix installed and configured, however while attempting to get email to work on the server I realized that PHP was horribly misconfigured, and that I was using an obsolete version of Ubuntu that had reached its end-of-life phase. So, after doing a dist upgrade and reinstalling PHP7, I’m back up and running; hopefully nothing is horribly broken now.
I’ve added some new content to go along with the new host. I’m hoping I can keep adding new content over the next couple months, we’ll see how things go and how stressed out I get. I still plan on working on several projects including a forum script I had previously been fixing up. I’ll continue to get any of my old projects broken up into snippets and tutorials.
I also updated my contact form so that it actually goes to my primary email now, so if you had attempted to contact me in the past it probably got lost. The new form also includes more methods of contact.
I’ve decided to ditch shared hosting and move to a VPS; this will allow me to have much more control over what software my server is running. I’m hoping this won’t turn out to be a major mistake since I’ve been hacked in the past when I tried managing my own server, however that may have been due to certain legacy scripts and improper file permissions. Either way, I have since learned more about file permissions and sandboxing, so I’m hoping that will make things more resilient. My new host also has “unlimited” bandwidth, so I may try out some new ideas that I couldn’t before because of bandwidth concerns.